The advantages of laser eye surgery procedures like the LASIK are multifold and the most attractive part of the ‘deal’ for patients is the fact that they can simply get back to their life almost instantly after the surgery.
As unbelievable as it sounds, laser eye surgeries usually last around 20 to 30 minutes and after you are done with them, you can get back to your work within a day or two at the most. Yet, by taking some simple precautions and following easy tips, you can ensure that your recovery is on track and uncomplicated.
- Always ask someone to accompany you to the surgery. While you may not be too frightened by the procedure to require moral support, it is best to have you drive someone back home since your vision takes time to adjust.
- Use the steroid based medication you have been handed without fail in the initial hours post surgery to reduce the pain. After that, do not forget your scheduled ‘artificial tear drops as they help in keeping the eyes moist and quicker recovery.
- It is best to bring out your cool shades that you have stashed away for that wonderful day on the beach as bright sunlight, at times even when you are indoors might hurt your eyes. Keep yourself away from sunlight as much as possible and avoid watching TV, reading books or spending time in front of the system for the first 48 hours.
- Keep almost everything away from contact with your eyes! It is as simple as that and that includes water, soap, cosmetics, shampoo, any artificial agents, make up and even your own hand. Do not rub your eyes and use protective goggles in case you are taking a bath.
- Do not get involved in any sport or heavy physical activity for a couple of weeks at the very least. Since your vision is still adjusting, there might be a slight problem with depth perception. Also wear a special mask your surgeon provides you with while sleeping to make sure you do not rub your eyes in sleep.